Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions

From: Richard Weickelt
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] using exceptions
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 00:26:53 +0200

Hi,

this thread got hijacked anyway, so here are just my 2 cents ;)

C++ on the AVR has had more attention recently, mainly because of the
Arduino community. The Arduino language is translated into C++ and then

indeed, it's so much fun to play with that instead of writing the same boring stuff over and over again. Sometimes at work I use the AVR for safety-related and easy-to-certificate control systems. C++ with its strong type system and powerful template features fits perfectly in here. Since many of my collegues are very young, we are used to think object-oriented and utilize frameworks even though it might be not necessary for many applications. Elderly collegues are often afraid of C++ and also tend to write every functionality by there own. In my oppinion, the benefits of C++ outweigh any drawbacks, if there are any.

Also let us know if there's anything we can do to help you get up to
speed on the AVR toolset.

The avr-g++ got excellent during the last years and its the one and only full-featured C++ compiler on the AVR (no need for RTTI). I am amazed how (readable) source code turns into well optimized binaries, thank You so much! Commercial toolchains are castrated, inflexible and do not fit into our automated build-system running on linux. avr-gcc, avr-gdb and avrdude integrate perfectly into my favourite IDE and save a lot of time and... money ^^

Conclusion in my company: Controller does not offer a portable and standard-conform C++ toolchain + debugger, no appearance on any BOM.

It's so exciting to follow the discussions that came up on the AVR-LLVM list this spring. Great!

Richard