Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard

From: Jens Bauer
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Trouble compiling avr-gcc > 4.4.4 on Mac OS X Leopard with gcc-4.2
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 09:47:23 +0200

Hi Johann,

Just to let you know: I really appreciate your help and quick replies *very*
much.

>I forgot to say that you don't need to do the sub-configures
>$GCC-SOURCE/gmp etc. by hand. Just configure GCC after you linked/copied
>the prerequesitie's sources.

Just to make it completely clear to a nut like me...
I do not need to do an actual build of GMP/MPFR/MPC before I build gcc ?

>> Compiling just finished. Unfortunately, I still get the same error...
>>
>> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
>> mkdir ./mpfr
>> Configuring in ./mpfr
>> configure: error: --target is not appropriate for GMP
>> Use --build=CPU-VENDOR-OS if you need to specify your CPU and/or system
>> explicitly.  Use --host if cross-compiling (see "Installing GMP" in the
>> manual for more on this).
>> make[1]: *** [configure-mpfr] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>>
>> Would it help sending something from config.log or config.status ?
>
>I remember running into problems after setting CC. So you should work
>out an other way to set -m32 option and unset CC. Note that you have a
>bunch of compilers involved:
>
>So you are actually trying to do a canadian cross build on MAC?
>I.e. build != host != target != build ?

Nope.
Just to make sure you don't misunderstand what I'm trying to do (because the
error-messages above are confusing!)
I'm only trying to do a simple build of avr-gcc on a PowerPC based Mac, which
runs on a PowerPC based Mac, and generates code for Atmel AVR.

Remember..
Building gcc-4.2.4 up to 4.4.4 works fine, but as soon as I change the version
number, and only the version number of gcc to 4.5.0 (or later), I get the above
error.

This makes me think, that the way gcc is built/configured changed between
v4.4.x and v4.5.x
-I could be wrong, but that seems to be the most logical explanation for me.

I could put the question in a different way:
Where would you look, if all previous versions of a build works, and after a
certain version number, it won't build anymore ?
(Because I'm actually getting more or less stuck).

I'll try and expand my build-commands to not include any variables in the
future.
The reason I didn't expand them earlier, was that the lines get so long, that
they're difficult to overview. ;)

If you think I should ask the question on gcc-help instead; I'll do that; but
I'll only ask one place at a time; as I feel asking the same question on
multiple lists at the same time, is disrespectful.

Love,
Jens