Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building AVR-Toolchain

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Building AVR-Toolchain
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 12:36:26 +0200

On Monday 04 May 2009 11:36, B.A.f.H. wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to compiling avr-gcc-compiler. I would develop code
> for the TinyOS project, but the used compiler in the project
> doesn't support my mikrocontroller (Atmel atmega1284p).
> So I have to build an new toolchain. I would build the avr-gcc-4.2.2
> version or newer. Which patches from the winavr site are needed
> to build a functioning avr-gcc-compiler? Are all patches or no
> one needed - this can't be true because I tried this.
> My System: I'm using WinXP with cygwin
Try my toolchain builder. It is part of my os (smaller as TinyOS!) for
the avr.

It downloads, patches and builds the tools for you. Versions are
utils:2.19, gcc:4.3.3,  gmp:4.2.4, mpfr:2.4.0, libc:1.6.4, dude:5.5.
It has been tested for gentoo, ubuntu, fedora8, osx,
windows2000/2003 and  windowsXP (with cygwin). You can find
the  package here:

 http://www.femtoos.org/
 via code | download

or directly via:

  http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=219072

Usage is simple, but read the "readme" !!
And the under cygwin, the script may run for more than two hours,
so be patient, even if the progress indicator does not update,
and indicates < ? > for a (long while).

Jus for the record, for Ubuntu 8.10 , you may need to insert
 --disable-werror CFLAGS="-Wno-format-security "
after --with-dwarf2 in the script where the binutils are build.
Line 585 of the script. (This was an idea of bingo, see
  http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=72619 )

Good luck!

Ruud.