Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Atmel FPGAs from AVR?

From: Colin O'Flynn
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Atmel FPGAs from AVR?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 21:14:21 -0300

Hi,

> (although I'd be more than happy to be told that I've
> just connected them wrong when I tried it...).

I know the original JTAG claimed you couldn't have anything other than the AVR
in the chain. I seem to recall something about it now being possible but the
AVR has to be the first device?

You're best bet is to check the help in AVRStudio, which is the latest source
of info on the tools (JTAG and JTAG MK2).

>However, the problem with this method is that
>you will require storage for the altera program, which for the chip I
>use (cyclone) is about 1Mbit IIRC.

A DataFLASH is pretty cheap, and in some applications it allows you to do even
more. For instance have multiple AVR or FPGA configurations you can switch
between...

Again the lubloader (newae.com/loonboard/lubloader) is an open-source example
of doing that (with docs!).

Regards,

 -Colin