RE: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Atmel FPGAs from AVR?

From: Matt.VanDeWerken
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Programming Atmel FPGAs from AVR?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 10:05:36 +1000

Hi Rick:

I too am interested in this topic.

I have a board that has an AVR and an Altera FPGA on it, which at the
moment I need to program separately.

Some options I've thought of:

1. Daisy-chain the JTAG from the Mega128 to the Altera. This doesn't
seem to work, I believe it's due to the AVR not implementing the JTAG
spec correctly (although I'd be more than happy to be told that I've
just connected them wrong when I tried it...).
2. Program the Altera using the JAM-player software on the altera site.
This has embedded-style code there for an 8051, which shouldn't be too
hard to port to avr-gcc. However, the problem with this method is that
you will require storage for the altera program, which for the chip I
use (cyclone) is about 1Mbit IIRC.
3. As above, but send the program as a bitstream over the serial port on
startup. Not the nicest way to do it, but might work for some
applications.

I'll read the replies you've already received and see if it provides
further inspiration.

Cheers,
Matthew van de Werken - Electronics Engineer
CSIRO E&M - Mining Geoscience Group
1 Technology Court - Pullenvale - 4069
p: (07) 3327 4142 * f: (07) 3327 4455 * e: address@hidden
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our
children."
-- Native American Proverb