RE: [avr-gcc-list] Makefile problem with case of filenames.

From: Nigel Winterbottom
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Makefile problem with case of filenames.
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:48:03 -0000

Jesper Hansen wrote:

> Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 8:28 PM
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Makefile problem with case of filenames.
>

> I just found a problem with the WinAVR/AVR-GCC suite when
> trying to make
> a project that had a few files with names in upper case.
> On Windows, this may happen if the files come from an old system that
> did not support VFAT, or because the files were simply given names in
> upper case (and the name is within the 8.3 limits).
>
> If names in upper case are used as targets (or rules), the link
> process will fail.
>
> This should be considered a bug on the Windows version as the system
> is not supposed to be case sensitive.
> Replacing all references in the Makefile to lowercase variants will
> allow make to pass (despite all names still being uppercase
> on the system).
>
> So, there seems to be an "i" missing in some strcmp (or something)
> somewhere.
>

> /Jesper

If your Makefile contains something like:

SRC = SOURCE1.C SOURCE2.C

and you do a "make clean" then you will find to your horror that SOURCE1.C &
SOURCE2.C have been magically cleaned also.

Can you guess how I discovered that one ?

Perhaps a warning about c source case in the Makefile template would be
prudent as exists for assembly sources.

Regards

Nigel Winterbottom