Re: [avr-gcc-list] General programming question/GPS parsing

From: Matthew MacClary
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] General programming question/GPS parsing
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:05:50 -0800

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 11:03:02PM -0500, wbounce wrote:
> I am think of trying to parse a GPS feed...
>
> Has anyone done this and kept control of a robot at the same time?

    I am on a DARPA Grand Challenge team that is using a similar
set-up.  We have a Garmin GPS that updates over RS232 once a second, I
don't recall the baud rate. In the current prototype, the same mega128
is interrupt driven to receive GPS sentences and the avr also
controls the vehicle.
    I don't have idle time measurements for the avr part but we view
it as not fully utilized and have considered routing more functions
through the same microcontroller board.  This is true even though we
are using some double math for extra precision in interpreting the
GPS data.

    I have a general question, right now we parse the GPS sentence
inside the USART interrupt.  I would like to have the interrupt only
receive the data and write it to a buffer, how would I then tell
another function to parse the buffer with interrupts enabled?  Can I
just do a sei() inside of SIGNAL to turn interrupts on and then call
the parsing function?

  Thanks!

-Matt

Where did the universe come from?