Re: [avr-gcc-list] General programming question/GPS parsing

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] General programming question/GPS parsing
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 00:18:18 -0500

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:27:59PM +1100, Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Well, let's look at the real world timings, here.  At 4800bps, you
> have just over 2ms to parse each BYTE of incoming data.  In that
> time, a 16MHz AVR will process something approaching 3,333
> instructions.

I think you are off by a factor of 10.  That should be around 32,000
instructions:

        16000000 Inst/s * .002 s = 32,000

So I think there's little chance that the AVR is going to be taxed
much at all with parsing the GPS sentences and I doubt much, if any,
buffering will be required.  Wbounce should have plenty of CPU and RAM
left over for some serious robot control.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean
BDMICRO - ATmega128 Based MAVRIC Controllers