Re: OT: [avr-gcc-list] How to make to variants with one makefile?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: OT: [avr-gcc-list] How to make to variants with one makefile?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:33:02 +0200

On 22 Nov 2004 at 14:15, James Hsu wrote:

> Anton Erasmus wrote:
>
> >I have a single set of source that supports a number of different
> >versions of a PCB with some differences in capabilities. I also use
> >either an ATmega8 on one PCB or an ATMega16 or ATMega32 on the other
> >PCBs. Currently I have to define the MCU as well as one other define
> >in the makefile.
> >

> Yikes, thats a fun approach. Then again, the stuff I'm working on is
> even sloppier...

I ended up with the situation because of problems in sourcing specific AVRs
some time ago. Also some devices becoming obsolete. It ended up either
having multiple branches of the source, or having one set of sources with
some minor conditional compiles.

> You really should look at the GNU Make info page. I'm pretty much
> learning this stuff as I go along and since Make isn't going to go
> anywhere anytime soon, I figure it's a pretty good investment of time.

I have, but i find a good example of a new or different solution to a problem
a much better teaching tool than just the reference. Even seeing people solving
problems which I have never encountered can be very edifying.
A good example is often worth more than 10 reference manuals.

> Anyhow, try something like this:

[Example snipped]

Thanks for the example.

Regards