Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to make to variants with one makefile?

From: Anton Erasmus
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] How to make to variants with one makefile?
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 22:42:36 +0200

On 21 Oct 2004 at 6:47, James Hsu wrote:

> Alex Wenger wrote:
>
> > I have a c-file with some conditional #ifdefs and
> > want that when I type "make all" that it will make
> > t1.hex and t2.hex one with -DVersion1 and the other
> > with -DVersion2. How can i do that?
>
> This is just one way of doing it...
>
> HEXFILES = t1.hex t2.hex
> all: $(HEXFILES)
> $(HEXFILES):
>         echo $(patsubst t%.hex,-DVersion%,$@)
>
> (The % in the first argument matches the number,
> the second arg prepends the "-DVersion" to the matched number,
> and the third argument specifies the input as the target)
>
> And running this results in:
>
> $ make all
> echo -DVersion1
> -DVersion1
> echo -DVersion2
> -DVersion2

Hi,

I finaly got around to test this suggestion. I changed the makefile to

HEXFILES = t1.hex t2.hex

all: $(HEXFILES)

$(HEXFILES):
        echo $(patsubst t%.hex,-DVersion%,$@)  $@

This gives

echo -DVersion1  t1.hex
-DVersion1 t1.hex
echo -DVersion2  t2.hex
-DVersion2 t2.hex

I am looking for a makefile construct that would give the following:

echo -DVersion1  t1.hex
-DVersion1 t1.hex
echo -DVersion1  t2.hex
-DVersion1 t2.hex
echo -DVersion2  t1.hex
-DVersion2 t1.hex
echo -DVersion2  t2.hex
-DVersion2 t2.hex

Does anybody have a suggestion of how to get make to do the above with a
single make command ?

Regards
   Anton Erasmus

--