Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:07:06 +0100 (MET)

"E. Weddington" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2. Licensing issues. avr-libc is licensed under Modified BSD, mainly
> because of usage in embedded products. The proposed C++ lib should
> be compatible.

libstdc++/libsupc++ are distributed under the same conditions as
libgcc, so it would not impose much restrictions.  I thus have to
cancel my previously made statement of possible licensing issues.

It's basically a GPL minus the requirement that you have to supply
*your* sourcecode to anyone you are giving a program linked against
those libraries.  So there will only be an issue for people who need
to extend the library itself.  (But then, they could probably split
off the library extension, and offer it to FSF under GPL, while
keeping the remainder of their project privately.)