Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++

From: Erik Christiansen
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] C++
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:47:27 +1100

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:57:56AM +0100, Klaus Rudolph wrote:
> How to manage the missing error messages for ldi, how to get table
> offsets for ldd and a lot of other questions. I hope you help me a lot
> with this snipets of code.

OK :-)
Sometimes it has been necessary to design around the problem. My ldd
problem was solved by writing a macro that generated some extra labels
that could be used instead of offsets. I'd need to see your case
before making a concrete suggestion, though.

Sometimes a quick solution involves a degree of surrender:
A few days ago avr-as refused to perform compiler arithmetic in the
.progmem section. I needed to divide a pointer in a table by 2. The
quick fix was to do the 16 bit divide at run time, using two ror
instructions. In this case, the run time overhead was too low to bust
myself on achieving compile time arithmetic. (I didn't want to move the
table to .text)

_Especially_ if it helps you give a bit of time to digging into the
avr-as code I'll definitely try to help you find work-arounds to your
ldd bottlenecks, etc. (And if Denis or Marek can help with a few hints,
I can maybe do a bit in avr-as too.)   ;-)

Erik