[avr-gcc-list] Snapshots etc

From: Jason Kyle
Subject: [avr-gcc-list] Snapshots etc
Date: Wed Jan 10 20:44:04 2001

Hi Dale,

Sorry but i've confused the issue by referring to my avr target build of gcc
snapshot 20001225 as avr-gcc-20001225.  It was built from
gcc-core-20001225.tar.gz binutils-001025 libc-20000730.

The current release of gcc does not have support for the avr target, you can
patch it using the year-old patches but it is better to build it from
unstable snapshots of CVS gcc and binutils as all bug fixes and changes are
applied.  There are sometimes problems, in the most recent build I did I
ended up using an earlier binutils with gcc-core-20001225 as the later
binutils although building itself successfully manages to break gcc during
make.  I would like to hear of other's successes / failures so we can save
other the hair pulling exercise.

Not that I can read Japaneese, but I noticed that they seem to have had
success with binutils-001202.tar.bz2 gcc-core-20001127.tar.gz
avr-libc-20001125.tar.gz
http://ww2.tiki.ne.jp/~maro/AVR/index.html#20001203

It is simply a matter of doing the following in this order:
Get bintuils snapshot, unbzip2 and untar then

./configure --target=avr
make
make install      (as root)

Get gcc-core snapshot, untar then
./configure --target=avr --enable-languages=c
make
make install      (as root)

Get avr-libc (latest is 20001125), untar then
cd src
make
make install      (as root)

Note that this installs to the default location of /usr/local/avr, this can
be changed by adding prefix=/WANTED_PATH

Jason Kyle