Re: [avr-chat] Variable Pinouts - How do you do it?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-chat] Variable Pinouts - How do you do it?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:05:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Johannes Bauer <address@hidden> wrote:

> Therefore, could an optimization be implemented which upon getting
> some special switch like -fcombine-bitoperations combines operations
> on the Registers <0x60 into something of the sort:

Nope, this is nothing you could burden onto the compiler.  From the
compiler's point of view, that's all pointers to volatile uint8_t
objects, so it's forced to update them immediately.  If you're going
to mess with that inside the compiler, you're likely to break any kind
of real application.

If you really want that feature, you somehow need to teach your HAL
about that (though offhand, I don't have a good idea).  I'm currently
working in a project where we also have a HAL similar to yours (only
manually written), and we simply don't care for that kind of minor
things.  The additional instructions for the other LEDs isn't what's
filling up our ROM (that's rather uint32_t calculations, for example),
and the microsecond delay between two or three LEDs is neglicible.