Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?

From: Nick Bowler
Subject: Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 11:47:14 -0500

On 3/1/17, Ralf Corsepius <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 03/01/2017 05:13 PM, Nick Bowler wrote:
>> The definition of these install variables comes from the GNU Coding
>> Standards[1].  You mention the installed scripts are machine-dependent
>> so they should be installed in either libdir or libexecdir.  GCS says:
>>
>>   "libexecdir: The directory for installing executable programs to be
>>                run by other programs rather than by users  ..."
>  >
>>   "libdir:     The directory for object files and libraries of object
>>                code ..."
>>
>> Which doesn't really help us decide where to install non-executable
>> machine-dependent shell fragments.
>
> Note the term "executable programs" in the section on "libexecdir",
> you cited above. Shell fragment usually aren't "executable".

I agree, but such fragments are also definitely not "object files" nor
are they "libraries of object code", hence why neither description is
particularly helpful in this case.

On the face of it a sourceable shell fragment seems closer to being an
executable program than it does to being an object file, so...

Cheers,
  Nick