Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?

From: Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri
Subject: Re: Proper location to install shell function libraries?
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 09:23:34 +0100

On Thu, Mar 02, 2017 at 07:57:49AM +0300, Basin Ilya wrote:
> I agree. Consider RHEL/CentOS where you can simultanneously install both
> .i686 and .x86_64 versions of one package. The packages are allowed to have
> overlapping files, if these files don't differ.
>
> If one puts script libraries to $libdir/<subdir>,  CentOS will have duplicate
> files in /lib/<subdir> and /lib64/<subdir>, but in case of $datadir there
> will be only one /usr/share/<subpackage>

If you install architecture-dependent shell function library files into
$datadir and then mount that hierarchy on different architectures,
this will fail.  Different architectures in this case means OpenBSD,
NetBSD, Solaris and Ubuntu, and the architecture dependance comes from
the location of certain utilities used by the shell library (GNU "grep"
is /usr/local/bin/ggrep on OpenBSD, /usr/pkg/bin/ggrep on NetBSD,
/usr/bin/ggrep on Solaris, while it's /bin/grep on Ubuntu).

Andreas