Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Strategy to specify major, minor, and patch versions
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 13:04:51 -0500 (CDT)

All of these strategies are done in m4 and result in the configure script being re-generated, which seems senseless and annoying to me. I will do anything in my power to not modify what has already been exhaustively tested just seconds before a release. The new configure script might not even work or it may behave differently than before.

I see hardly any relationship between the configure script and the release versioning other than that the configure script prints it for the user and records the value.

The logic of the configure script does not depend on the version values (they are just passed strings) so it was a design error to require that the user edit configure.ac (or some m4 file) in order to cut a new release.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn