Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 06:23:22 -0600

On 05/21/2013 04:59 AM, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> Maybe have a common directory of /usr/[local/]share/autoconf/auxdir
> and teach autoconf to look there if it doesn't find
> config.guess/config.sub in the project directory and copy them when
> copy is specified?  I dislike the environment variable idea.  Too
> fragile, someone forgets it is set and then has trouble because the
> config.guess/config.sub he's trying to use isn't being used.  I know
> you mean for the variable to be set at autoreconf/configure usage but
> there are always idiots who install it into their .profile files and
> forget they did that.

Sorry, but this is the autoconf maintainer speaking:

I much prefer the environment variable approach.  It is the same as we
do for other tools, such as $CC or $GREP.  Users already have to be
aware of environment variables they have set; furthermore, we can mark
such variables as precious so that config.log records what was used.

Quit trying to overengineer a path search - all I am willing to commit
into autoconf is an environment variable override.