Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Ben Elliston
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 21:36:51 +1000

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 07:33:49AM -0400, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> People forgetting about the symlink during distribution of their
> package.  Not all systems support it.  Using cp -f would be better.

OK, fine. :-)

I think there are a few different use cases people have in mind. My
understanding of the issue is that people responsible building large
numbers of autoconfiscated packages for distros (eg, Debian) are the
ones with the real headaches.

> I tend to use a sub module repository and have config.guess and
> config.sub in a directory (build-aux/) and I tell autoconf via
> configure.ac where to find it.

Yes, but that requires re-running autoconf.  I think we're trying to
avoid that because if configure.in is old, you may have a lot of work
to do to get autoreconf to work.

Ben