Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Paul Wise
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 09:27:46 +0800

On Mon, 2012-10-08 at 12:26 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Personally, I've already started converting every package I maintain that
> uses Autoconf to using dh_autoreconf during the build.

Likewise.

> I wonder if that isn't a better long-term solution for Debian.

It is, but for DFSG item 2 reasons rather than this. As a solution for
this in Debian and outside Debian I don't think it scales as well.
Within Debian we would need to make everything use debhelper and make
debhelper do it by default, neither of which are likely. There are quite
a few distros, including proprietary ones, so I don't think this
approach scales outside of Debian either.

> config.guess/config.sub have caused the most frequent problems, but
> we've had problems in the past from old versions of Libtool as well,
> and dh_autoreconf resolves the entire problem (at least for packages
> for which it works).

Thanks, I guess I should prepare a patch for the libtool artefacts too.

> Paul, separately, if you haven't already, could you request that the
> Lintian checks for outdated config.guess/config.sub be updated for
> whatever version you need for arm64?  We could also recommend
> dh_autoreconf at the same time, which might resolve a lot of these
> problems going forward.

Thanks for the suggestion, filed:

http://bugs.debian.org/690014

--