Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: [RFC] getting rid of the config.guess/sub problem when bootstrapping new ports/systems
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:26:08 -0700

Paul Wise <address@hidden> writes:

> In the meantime, within Debian we will be pursuing both per-package
> updating of config.guess/sub and I'm also thinking about getting our
> binary package build toolchain to take that role, but I'm not sure how
> well that would be received within Debian or how well it would work.

Personally, I've already started converting every package I maintain that
uses Autoconf to using dh_autoreconf during the build.  I wonder if that
isn't a better long-term solution for Debian.  config.guess/config.sub
have caused the most frequent problems, but we've had problems in the past
from old versions of Libtool as well, and dh_autoreconf resolves the
entire problem (at least for packages for which it works).

Paul, separately, if you haven't already, could you request that the
Lintian checks for outdated config.guess/config.sub be updated for
whatever version you need for arm64?  We could also recommend
dh_autoreconf at the same time, which might resolve a lot of these
problems going forward.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>