Re: Detecting an adequate id program

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Detecting an adequate id program
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 15:31:46 +0100

* Michael Grünewald wrote on Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:51:23PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >The standard Autoconf way to write this would be to use AC_CHECK_PROG or
> >AC_PATH_PROG rather than open-coding it;
>
> I found description for these macros in the info manual for
> Autoconf, but I could not figure out how to use them in my
> situation.  It seems to me that these macros check for the
> availablity of some program while I need to choose between several
> plausbile alternatives, given that they do not all have the same
> capabilities.
>
> For me, the problem is that `id -u -n' and `id -g -n' do not work on
> the Solaris installations I used: I had to use `/usr/xpg4/bin/id' or
> `command -p id' instead.

Ah, yes.  Look at AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK (Autoconf >= 2.62) and the
example in the manual, that should be sufficient for your needs.

> Note: the `reply to all' in my mailer did not add your name in the
> recipients list.  Is this a broken behaviour of my mailer or did you
> set some headers to require this?

My mailer sets Mail-Followup-To: without my email address in it if it
sees that any mailing lists I'm subscribed to are in To: or Cc:.  So
yes, if your mailer honors that, that works as intended.

Thanks,