Re: Noooooooooo!

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: Noooooooooo!
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 18:12:13 +0000

> Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>
> > Josef noted that he did not want this to change. I'm inclined to agree
> > with him, people who are cross-compiling may not have all of the `tools'
> > available as triplet-prefixed-name, but are likely to have their PATH
> > set correctly to point at the cross-tools.

I've used cross-compiles (off and on) for years and I gotta say the
first time I got this message I probably did some pissing and moaning.
But I do believe that proper naming is the way to go.

Then I created the proper names using symlinks and the problem went
away.

I've yet to see a case where fixing this in the way autoconf "wants" is
even mildly difficult.

If one doesn't have root, just make a subdir that contains the symlinks
and add that subdir to the PATH.

If it's time to "go one way or the other", let's DTRT and lose this old
hackaround.