how to install data directories

From: Matej Tyc
Subject: how to install data directories
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 21:53:03 +0200

Hello,
I have a project that I adapt to use Autotools and it is a game. It has
several directories with data that are required by the program that need
to be installed somwhere.
I have used AM_CPPFLAGS = -DDATADIR=\"$(datadir)\" trick and I have
modified the source files accordingly; however the install fails with a
message about omitted directories that are not copied... It is true that
in the corresponding Makefile.am data_DATA=beat/ gfx/ wavs/ are
directories, but I have to install those directories and I would like to
do it in a smart way with as little of work as possible.
Any suggestions?
Regards,
Matej