Re: nested packages

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: nested packages
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:52:53 -0400

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:58:33AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> * Bob Rossi wrote on Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:57:48AM CEST:

> > > Eliminate AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.  Introducing it to run the sub-configure
> > > automatically is not so difficult, although many packages have
> > > requirements that are not met by the current interface yet.  Getting
> > > better though.  :)
> >
> > I'm confused now, sorry. Should I use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to configure the
> > library or not?
>
> Yes, you should.  AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS will cause the toplevel configure
> script to invoke the sub-configure script, and so both packages should
> be ready to be built after just invoking the first.  Invoking `make'
> should then build both packages, given that you adjusted SUBDIRS
> accordingly in the toplevel Makefile.am.

OK, thanks. At this point, I have both packages working independently.
Do I just do a 'cp -fr' the minor package into the major package?

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

> > Will the library get installed when 'make install' is done?
>
> Yes, it should.

I would like the library to not get installed when it is bundled, and to
install it when it is not bundled. Is this possible? Am I being
unreasonable? (ie. sometimes I want things that don't make sense, until
I understand more of the big picture)

Thanks,
Bob Rossi