Re: nested packages

From: Bob Rossi
Subject: Re: nested packages
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:57:48 -0400

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:48:15PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Stepan,
>
> * Stepan Kasal wrote on Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:41:58PM CEST:
>
> > > Eliminating the second configure run is sometimes possible, but for
> >
> > Ralf, what are you speaking about?  You introduced AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS,
> > or eliminated it?
>
> Eliminate AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS.  Introducing it to run the sub-configure
> automatically is not so difficult, although many packages have
> requirements that are not met by the current interface yet.  Getting
> better though.  :)

I'm confused now, sorry. Should I use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS to configure the
library or not? Will the library get installed when 'make install' is
done? I'm not interested in having it installed unless the package is
being configured on it's own. (Unless the library install dir is the
same as CGDB's installed dir --prefix=).

> > I agree with Ralf here, that if you plan to release both of the packages
> > independently, it's best to write a README which says that libgdbi has
> > to be installed first.
> >
> > If you combine the packages, you might run into problems when youtry
> > to link CGDB against the not-yet-installed libgdbi?  Maybe it's just
> > my prejudice, but I'd feel safer if I had it as two packages.
>
> Do those packages use Libtool?  :-)
> (BTW, I'm having kind of a deja-vu feeling here; did we have a similar
> conversation about this already, last year?)

Wow Ralf, great memory. It was slightly different before. I was
attempting to distribute readline with CGDB. I ended up not doing this.

Bob Rossi