Re: autoconf linking with shared object

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: autoconf linking with shared object
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:32:37 -0500

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:02 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> You definitely want to put dependent libraries (those `-lfoolib' flags)
> into one of the automake Makefile macros LIBS, someprogram_LDADD,
> libsomelibrary_LIBADD, or similar, and not into *_LDFLAGS.

I hear this advice from time to time (and I have read what the autoconf
and automake manuals have to say). Yet, as a practical matter, -l and -L
flags frequently wind up as part of the same autoconf substitution in
many build systems (e.g., such falls out of the typical usage pattern
for pkg-config) and consequently get put into *_LDFLAGS as a unit. I do
not think I have observed any bad effects from this to date.

Is this advice really still relevant? Are all those packages that apply
-l and -L together as a unit Doing It Wrong?

--
Braden McDaniel <address@hidden>