autoconf linking with shared object

From: Matt Kowalczyk
Subject: autoconf linking with shared object
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:35:22 -0800

One of my source files uses the library:

#include <openssl/md5.h>

This forces me to add /usr/lib/libcrypto.so to the gcc command when I link the object to produce an executable for instance. My gcc command looks something like below:

gcc --pedantic -Wall -std=c99 -O2 -g -O2 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so -o main Main.o my_md5.o

I was studying autoconf today and was wondering how I can assert that the user compiling does in fact have the libcrypto.so shared object.

e.g. ./configure would check to make sure libcrypto.so is available... at least it's functionality--the function MD5_Init is defined for example.

Is this possible?

As programs grow in complexity and require many of these shared objects, what is the best way to assure portability? Do I include the code for libcrypto.c for the user to compile if they don't have libcrypto.so? Or do I provide the user with an unfriendly error message from the compiler.

Also, the location of my libcrypto.so object may differ from other peoples. How do I deal with that?

Thanks,
Matt