autotools are persistent in using /usr/lib/libstdc++.la

From: Marc Singer
Subject: autotools are persistent in using /usr/lib/libstdc++.la
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:36:36 -0700

I'm cross-building an autotools enabled package (konqueror-embedded).
It builds fine on Debian derived, but RedHat systems include the file
/usr/lib/libstdc++.la.  I've made sure that the prefix is not /usr and
I've eliminated all references to /usr from the build/link.  There's
nothing in the makefile that explicitly references this file, but it
persists in the link where it seems to come from a .deps file.  I've
even added the compiler's lib directory explicitly in the configure
invocation, but that doesn't seem to fix it.

So,

  1) Where could this be coming from?
  2) Is there some way in which this could be hard-coded in autotools?
  3) Is there a way to override this default?

Cheers.