Re: autotools are persistent in using /usr/lib/libstdc++.la

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: autotools are persistent in using /usr/lib/libstdc++.la
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:05:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Marc Singer wrote:

I'm cross-building an autotools enabled package (konqueror-embedded).
It builds fine on Debian derived, but RedHat systems include the file
/usr/lib/libstdc++.la.  I've made sure that the prefix is not /usr and
I've eliminated all references to /usr from the build/link.  There's
nothing in the makefile that explicitly references this file, but it
persists in the link where it seems to come from a .deps file.  I've
even added the compiler's lib directory explicitly in the configure
invocation, but that doesn't seem to fix it.
 1) Where could this be coming from?
 2) Is there some way in which this could be hard-coded in autotools?

It is most likely that a libtool .la file on the system includes mention of /usr/lib/libstdc++.la. That would explain the problem.

It is not usually legal to mix-and-match libstdc++ implementations because different versions of GCC don't always produce the exact same ABI and because template implementations may differ. As a result, all libraries used by the application should be based on the same version of GCC and the same libstdc++.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn