Re: abs_top_builddir not working?

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: abs_top_builddir not working?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 17:24:11 +0100

On Saturday 14 May 2005 4:10 pm, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

> [...]
>
>  Stepan> I suggest that Automake automatically sets these make variables:
>
>  Stepan> abs_srcdir
>  Stepan> abs_builddir
>  Stepan> abs_top_srcdir
>  Stepan> abs_top_builddir
>
> Why not AC_SUBST these variables in Autoconf ?  Let's work on
> solution that don't require modifying Automake each time
> Autoconf introduce a new variable.

Doesn't autoconf already AC_SUBST these?  Running autoconf 2.59 in directory
/home/keith/zz, with ...

<configure.ac>
AC_INIT
AC_CONFIG_FILES(Makefile)
AC_OUTPUT
</configure.ac>

<Makefile.in>
abs_srcdir = @abs_srcdir@
abs_top_srcdir = @abs_top_srcdir@
abs_builddir = @abs_builddir@
abs_top_builddir = @abs_top_builddir@
</Makefile.in>

after running ...
        autoconf;  ./configure

I see ...

<Makefile>
abs_srcdir = /home/keith/zz
abs_top_srcdir = /home/keith/zz
abs_builddir = /home/keith/zz
abs_top_builddir = /home/keith/zz
</Makefile>

so where's the problem?  IIRC, these variables were not available prior to
autoconf 2.59, so maybe you just need to upgrade.

Regards,
Keith.