Re: abs_top_builddir not working?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: abs_top_builddir not working?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 17:35:14 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 11:04:04AM +0200, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
>  Stepan> Or perhaps you could trace a different macro, not directly AC_SUBST.
>
> That sounds the right thing to do to me.

OK.  Alexandre, I'm new to this, could you please suggest a name for the
macro?

> I'd rather aim to remove anything from this file
> that is not purely Automake-specific.  E.g., the definition of
> srcdir, and top_srcdir have nothing to do here: Autoconf should
> tell Automake these variables exist.

OK, I agree.  The same with INSTALL.

For consistency, I'd call the trace macro for top_buildir and buildir, too.

Notes:
1)  top_buildir is currently computed statically by Automake.  But I think
that the general mechanism should be prefered.

2)  @top_buildir@ currently slightly differs from Automake's top_buildir,
but I have a patch in my queue which fixes this.  By the time I add the
trace call for top_buildir, both will be consistent.

3)  You said you don't want `buildir = .' in Automake-generated makefiles.
Can you implement this exception on Automake's side?  Or will you give up?
Again, I think that using the general mechanism here is the best option.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan Kasal