Re: Substituting variables in installed scripts

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: Substituting variables in installed scripts
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:50:55 +0200

David Kulp wrote:
> Making a p.pl.in file and having configure process it seems
> unattractive and doesn't allow me to easily test during development.
> Patching during 'make install' seems better, but I don't know the
> autoconf way.

The autoconf package itself can server as an example for this; it's a
Perl program, too.  The gist of it is that you write your own make
rules with sed and friends.

Standard procedure in any case is to build during the build and to
install during the install.  So what you have in mind is certainly
possible but not the usual method.