Re: solaris and -lintl problems

From: Chris Albertson
Subject: Re: solaris and -lintl problems
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:48:04 -0800

In the specific case listed below it appears that "libintl.a" is not
being found.  Either it does not exist or it is not on your linker's
search path.  You see this type of problem many times because one
programwilldeped on another.  For example you would expect an
imageprocess program to require some JPG library.  Tracking these
down takes some work. Start with any docs that come with the program you are building and thn try www.google.com (BTW google finds
lots of hits on "libintl.a" some suggest that libintl.a is
part of the GNU "gettext" package.  SO you might want to install
gettext.  Sometimes you may have to go down three of four levels
as "gettext" may depend on yet something else (like a "curses
library?") that you may or may not have.

Harlan Stenn wrote:
If there is a better place to discuss this issue please tell me.

I am tyring to build a number of GNU packages on a solaris9 machine.

I am frequently seeing failures like this one (from gcc-3.3.2):

 gcc    -g -DIN_GCC  -W -Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes

-Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional -pedantic -Wno-long-long -DHAVE_CONFIG_H

-o cc1 c-parse.o c-lang.o c-pretty-print.o attribs.o c-errors.o c-lex.o c-pragma.o

c-decl.o c-typeck.o c-convert.o c-aux-info.o c-common.o c-opts.o c-format.o

c-semantics.o  c-objc-common.o c-dump.o libcpp.a  main.o libbackend.a .

/intl/libintl.a  ../libiberty/libiberty.a
 libintl_bindtextdomain              libbackend.a(intl.o)
 libintl_gettext                     c-parse.o
 libintl_textdomain                  libbackend.a(intl.o)
 ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to cc1
 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
 *** Error code 1

I am seeing similar failuses in other packages.

Any idea what the root cause might be?

The mailing list archives have not been helpful to me.

Who can I lobby to get twiki.gnu.org up and running?