Re: autoconf 2.57 and DJGPP: IFS=: and constructing paths

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: autoconf 2.57 and DJGPP: IFS=: and constructing paths
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 15:13:28 +0000

Hello.

Tim Van Holder wrote:

> > 2003-01-11  Richard Dawe  <address@hidden>
> >
> >       *  lib/autoconf/status.m4: Quote constructed paths when IFS=:,
> >       so that DOS absolute paths are not split on the colon.
>
> Unfortunately, this is one place in autoconf where dos paths simply
> cannot be handled - IFS=: is NEEDED here, as $CONFIG_HEADERS has
> entries of the form
>
>    <header>[:<template>]
>
> For example: config.h:config.hin
>
> I tried adding logic here to cope, but IIRC I failed to make it work.

I think you misunderstand the patch.

It's not to cope with colons in filenames on input - it leaves the the
splitting of <header>[:<template>] alone. I can't see how that can be made to
work with DOS absolute paths.

After parsing <header>[:<template>], the code then may prefix the
header/template with the source directory, $srcdir.

If $srcdir contains a colon, then:

    IFS=: echo $srcdir/foo

will split the output on the colon. But if we quote it:

    IFS=: echo "$srcdir/foo"

then it won't be split.

The patch uses more quoting to protect the paths from IFS=: splitting. If
these paths are then split later using IFS=: then the patch is broken, but I
don't think that's the case.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://www.phekda.freeserve.co.uk/richdawe/ ]