Re: AC_DEFINE questions

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE questions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 08:38:27 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Guido Draheim wrote:

> > Is there a nice way to solve this problem?
>
> AC_CREATE_PREFIX_CONFIG_H .... see http://ac-archive.sf.net
>
> it's an old problem of library makers, search the autoconf ML archive
> for references. Basic point: do not install config.h, and if you don't
> want to create your own pkg-config.h.in, then the above macro might be
> of help to you to make one up.

I'll sound off [yet again] with my usual objection:

I see no reason why there can't be a generalized header file generator in
autoconf.  i.e., one that *is* suitable for installing.  There's already
heavy machinery in autoconf to generate .h files (e.g.: not overwriting it
if it stayed the same between configure runs, switching between #define
and #undef, etc.).

For those of us who need to make publicly-installable header files, why
can't we use the same mechanisms instead of having to roll our own?

AC_CREATE_PREFIX_CONFIG_H is not an option for me.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden