Re: AC_DEFINE questions

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: AC_DEFINE questions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:31:56 +0100

Balint Joo wrote:
array dimensions at configure time). The package builds a library
which is installed, and config.h gets installed also in the @prefix@/include
directory.

I then have a second package which needs to use the first one,
and it needs to include the its config.h file.

However, the version of autoconf I use, also defines some package
versioning information (PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_TARNAME etc etc).
So when I compile the second package, which also has PACKAGE_NAME
and PACKAGE_TARNAME etc etc defined, these definitions conflict
between the two packages.

I'd like to suppress these conflicts. It would be nice if I could
dump the PACKAGE_TARNAME defines into a different file from my
other definitions say something like config.h for the important
ones and version.h for PACKAGE_TARNAME and its friends.

Is there a nice way to solve this problem?

AC_CREATE_PREFIX_CONFIG_H .... see http://ac-archive.sf.net

it's an old problem of library makers, search the autoconf ML
archive for references. Basic point: do not install config.h,
and if you don't want to create your own pkg-config.h.in, then
the above macro might be of help to you to make one up.

have lots of fun, guido

(btw, I have a new macro AX_*PREFIX* on my disk that integrates
 into config.status - you can find it in cvs at above website).