bug in AC_CONFIG_FILES() when the build-dir is a subdirectory of source-

From: Jesper Eskilson
Subject: bug in AC_CONFIG_FILES() when the build-dir is a subdirectory of source-dir
Date: 17 Jul 2002 13:35:08 +0200

Hi!

I'm trying to hunt down a strange error message which occurs as a result of

AC_CONFIG_FILES([bin/test:test.in])

and having the build directory is a sub-directory of the source
directory. Given the attached configure-script, do

$ cd <srcdir>
$ mkdir builddir; cd builddir
$ ../configure
configure: creating ./config.status
./config.status: cd: ../../bin: No such file or directory
config.status: creating bin/test

The file "bin/test" is created ok, but I'm confused as to why the error
message appears. It seems from studying config.status that it is trying
figure out the absolute path to the created files, but fails.

I've confirmed that this bug appears in autoconf 2.53.

/Jesper
--
Jesper Eskilson
Virtutech