Re: Autom4te cache doesn't record m4_include information

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Autom4te cache doesn't record m4_include information
Date: 16 Mar 2002 12:45:22 +0100

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> writes:

Peter> It would also be nice if there was a way to turn off that
Peter> cache, because after all, why would I be rerunning autoconf if
Peter> I hadn't changed anything?  It's just taking up half a meg of
Peter> disk space.
>> You miss the point: traces mainly.

Peter> What if I don't need traces?

Don't you use autoheader?  Don't you use Automake?  Did you read the
documentation?

Peter> I can live with 50 kB of traces, but I am confused about almost
Peter> 0.5 MB of output.0 that I'll never need again.

I can understand that.  But there is no means to disable this, and I
don't plan to implement one: that would greatly augment the complexity
of that thing.

It is used when for instance you run automake or autoheader or
autoscan before autoconf.

Peter> Also, it would be nice if autom4te would store this cache
Peter> somewhere other than in the current directory, for instance in
Peter> $HOME/.autom4te.  You can distinguish the input files by
Peter> absolute name or inode.  It seems much cleaner to keep this
Peter> internal data out of the way somehow.

I find it cleaner to leave it where it us used so that you can rm it
without compromising all the caches.