Re: How to use cache variables

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: How to use cache variables
Date: 07 Feb 2002 14:35:04 +0100

>> This has been a default in Autoconf for years.  I have a few ideas
>> on how to remove this problem, while at the same time enable the
>> implementation of other features.  But it requires severe surgery,
>> which is not possible at this stage.  Maybe for the next release.

Thomas> Removing the problem would be best done by documenting the
Thomas> conventions in use.

Err, isn't it the case?

>> Anyway, there are so many scripts depending on these names, that
>> whatever scheme will be chosen, we will keep them.

Thomas> (such as AC_CHECK_LIB ;-)

I must have lost the track here.  Many people have asked for its
modernization, but this precisely never happened because of backward
compatibility issues.  I guess you are referring to some change, but I
can't remember which one.