Re: How to use cache variables

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: How to use cache variables
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 17:05:18 -0500

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:26:10PM +0000, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > My question is, are SOME_VAR and SOME_OTHER_VAR things I should set
> > myself in the optional arguments to the AC_CHECK macros, or should I use
> > cache variables?  I'm uneasy about using the latter, because I've had
> > trouble predicting the names of some macros' cache vars, and having to
> > slog through the generated configure
> > script makes me think I'm doing something wrong.
>
>  The names are fairly obvious, and there's a section in the autoconf manual
>  that explains them (Results of Tests->Caching Results->Cache Variable Names).

Though the mechanism is (has been) documented, the convention for several
macros has changed a couple of times over autoconf's history.  (Apparently
they are not so obvious as to prevent maintainers from breaking compatibility).

>  But you don't need to do it this way.

usually not (sometimes the result would be unmanageable otherwise)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net