Re: possibly undefined macro: dnl (Was: Autoconf 2.50 is released)

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: possibly undefined macro: dnl (Was: Autoconf 2.50 is released)
Date: 22 May 2001 14:37:33 +0200

>>>>> "Lars" == Lars J Aas <address@hidden> writes:

Lars> Since this error message always uses the line-number of the
Lars> first macro and not the failed macro, couldn't we change scheme
Lars> to insert a line like the following in `configure' for each
Lars> top-level macro invocation (hopefully easy to detect)?:

Lars> #line configure.ac:43

Lars> Then we can scan for the last line of that kind before the first
Lars> occurence of the macro name in `configure' and output that the
Lars> problem is somewhere below that point.

That would considerably slow down Autoconf, not to mention the
difficulty to implement this without polluting genuine output.

In addition, I don't understand why you limit this to top level
invocations.

But, maybe there is something to do with traces.  Trying to define the
`undefined' symbols and trace there expansion.  Hm.  Nah, way too hard
(since it means you have to disable quotation etc.), and in addition
running traces doubles the time spent in autoconf.