autoconf complains wrongly about version of m4

From: David Kirkby
Subject: autoconf complains wrongly about version of m4
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:15:35 +0100

Hi,
        I use automake and autoconf at home on my Sun SPARCstation with no
problems.

However, I'm now trying to use autoconf 2.13 at work on an HP-UX system,
with little success. Sorry I can't reproduce the exact error message
(I'm not on the machine), but autoconf complains that it needs gnu m4,
version 1.1 or greater. However, I've installed m4, version 1.4. typing
m4 --version correctly identifies itself as version 1.4. To my knowledge
there are no older versions of m4 around, but in any case, the version I
want to use (1.4) is in the path, and 'which m4' indicates that the one
I want is being picked up.

Any suggestions ?

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D,