Re: Autoconf and cross-compiling

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: Re: Autoconf and cross-compiling
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 20:30:37 +0200

"Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 May 2001  9:27 pm, David Burg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to change a existent configure.in file to enable cross-compiling
> > (host is x86 and target is strongarm). I have read the on-line documention
> > of autoconf on www.gnu.org, but explainations on cross-compiling
> > configuration are not many and I fail to adapt the configure.in.
> >
> > I have allready a c++ cross-compiler named arm-linux-gcc and glibc for
> > cross-compiling.
> >
> > Are they some easy understandable cross-compiling with autoconf how-to
> > avaible somewhere ?
>
> Chapter 25 of the Goat book, http://wources.redhat.com/autobook.

small typo, Gary, it's http://sources.redhat.com/autobook
and chapter 26, anyway, was easy to guess ;-)
However, looking at it, in being a how-to, it is quite short.
Perhaps we need a kind of guide to enabling cross-compiling,
like a list which autoconf-tests are good for cross-compiling
and which are not, or just in some places. E.g. try_link will
sometimes work as a check-method, but some embedded-targets
don't have convenience-libs on the build-system to enable the
checks - they'll fail always. [ahm btw, changing the PATH(s)
before starting configure/make is the easiest way to do
crosscompile most projects ;-) ] I have to admit that most
of my experiences come from experimentation, try-and-error,
and not reading. I wasn't to find a site dedicated to the
topic either :-( ... oh well...

cheers,
-- guido           http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/ac-archive
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- y++ 5++X-