Re: Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?

From: Mo DeJong
Subject: Re: Where did the Cygwin and Mingw checks go?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:55:18 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> --- Mo DeJong <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > No, it depends in what your compiler outputs.
> >
> > % cat tmp.c
> > int i;
> >
> > % i386-mingw32msvc-gcc -c tmp.c
> >
> > % ls tmp.*
> > tmp.c  tmp.o
> >
> > % ./i586-cygwin32-gcc -c tmp.c
> >
> > % ls tmp.*
> > tmp.c  tmp.o
> >
> > You would only get a .obj file if you were using VC++.
> >

> Correct!.  And for VC++ since you don't have uname you would have to specify
> the values for the variables.

Why would this depend on uname? I was under the impression that
autoconf would just try to compile conftest.c and then find
the obj extension by looking for files named conftest.*,
filtering out conftest.c and then using whatever was left
(either conftest.o or conftest.obj). That might have changed,
but it seems to be the way I remember it.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc