Re: autoconf option fun

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: autoconf option fun
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:57:21 -0800

Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hello, Bruce!
>
> > > --foo=* | --fo=* | --f=*
> >
> > Such a macro would have to keep track of whether or not
> > there was a --fumble=xxx option, too.  Of course, I *do*
> > have a shell script option processing generator that does
> > all this stuff automatically....
>
> You didn't tell us _where_ you have it.

Sorry.  Page with a quick description:

  http://AutoGen.SourceForge.net/autoopts/

Grungy details (i.e. reference doc):

  http://AutoGen.SourceForge.net/doc/autogen_6.html

with info about shell option processing towards the end of the
chapter.

> I personally wouldn't object against generating our auto* scripts with m4.

There are a couple of other advantages to AutoOpts:

1.  The usage text is generated
2.  An abbreviated man page is generated
3.  The invoking section for the info doc is generated
4.  If you ever switch to compiled code, then there are a *number*
    of initialization features that are easy and helpful  :-).

Regards,
        Bruce