autoconf-maintainers

Re: Suggestion for the GCS

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Suggestion for the GCS
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:11:15 -0800

> From: Akim Demaille <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:40:41 +0100

> note that the ftp.gnu.org/gnu/GNUinfo/ directory is old and reflects
> old versions of the GCS and other files (see the dates below).  Only
> the tarball is up to date.  This can be a problem since several of
> us do use the directory as the master source of these files.

I use URLs like <http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.texi>.  That area
does seem to be up to date.  I don't know who's maintaining the FTP
directory.  The GNU coding standards mentions
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/standards>, but this is merely a symlink to
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/GNUinfo>.

Clearly something is messed up -- either the GCS or the ftp.gnu.org
site.  Assuming the GCS is wrong, here is a patch:

*** ../standards0.texi  Mon Oct 14 14:58:58 2002
--- standards.texi      Wed Nov 20 16:08:27 2002
***************
*** 93,106 ****
  @cindex where to obtain @code{standards.texi}
  @cindex downloading this manual
  If you did not obtain this file directly from the GNU project and
! recently, please check for a newer version.  You can ftp the GNU
! Coding Standards from any GNU FTP host in the directory
! @file{/pub/gnu/standards/}.  The GNU Coding Standards are available
! there in several different formats: @file{standards.text},
! @file{standards.info}, and @file{standards.dvi}, as well as the
  Texinfo ``source'' which is divided in two files:
! @file{standards.texi} and @file{make-stds.texi}.  The GNU Coding
! Standards are also available on the GNU World Wide Web server:
  @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_toc.html}.

  Corrections or suggestions for this document should be sent to
--- 93,107 ----
  @cindex where to obtain @code{standards.texi}
  @cindex downloading this manual
  If you did not obtain this file directly from the GNU project and
! recently, please check for a newer version.  You can get the GNU
! Coding Standards from the GNU World Wide Web server host in several
! different formats: @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.text},
! @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.info}, and
! @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.dvi}, as well as the
  Texinfo ``source'' which is divided in two files:
! @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards.texi} and
! @uref{http://www.gnu.org/prep/make-stds.texi}.  The GNU Coding
! Standards are also available in HTML format starting at