autoconf-maintainers

Re: Updating the GCS on ./configure MACHINE

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Updating the GCS on ./configure MACHINE
Date: 07 Nov 2002 10:53:58 -0700

Pavel> I don't like the idea that the configure script `must' or
Pavel> `should' support --target.  It's a standard, not a description
Pavel> of the configure files generated by the current version of
Pavel> Autoconf.

Pavel> I don't see any reason to require --target support for the
Pavel> programs which don't need it.

Perhaps I'm missing context.  Traditionally we talked about the
"configure API": flags and such that any configure script, no matter
how generated, were required to recognize.  Whether the script does
anything with the flag is up to it.

Tom