autoconf-maintainers

Re: Updating the GCS on ./configure MACHINE

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: Re: Updating the GCS on ./configure MACHINE
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:25:20 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Tom and Akim!

> The configure script must also support the options --build, which
> specifies the type of system on which the program will be compiled,
> --host, which specifies the type of system on which the program will
> be run, and --target, which specifies the type of system which the
> program will target (e.g., for a compiler, this is the system for
> which it generates executables).
>
> That last bit is still a bit ugly.
>
> I prefer `must' to `should', since that is more consistent with other
> standard-ese.

I don't like the idea that the configure script `must' or `should' support
--target.  It's a standard, not a description of the configure files
generated by the current version of Autoconf.

I don't see any reason to require --target support for the programs which
don't need it.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin