Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win

From: Ikumi Keita
Subject: Re: AUCTex in WSL cannot find TeX Live in Win
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 18:23:16 +0900

Hi Pete,

> Oh no, not me again. Just in case anybody might be interested and so
> that really nothing remains unattempted, I did a 'ground-zero' fresh
> installation of wsl + Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
> I haven't reproduced all of Ikumi's steps, but the result seems
> exactly the same:
> 1. From within wsl-emacs + auctex no windows Tex Live-installation can
> be found, replacing commands by their corresponing .exe to no
> substantial avail, etc. p.p.
> 2. Flawless compilation and production of a pdf from tex-file, when
> pdflatex.exe is manually executed outside wsl-Emacs in (now-) Ubuntu
> console: pdflatex.exe test2.tex
> So rather than anything being wrong wsl, probably "then emacs running
> under wsl has something wrong about starting asynchronous process of
> windows binary." (cit. Ikumi)

Let me summarise the situation.
(a) When Pete added ".exe" to `TeX-command' and `LaTeX-command', AUCTeX
    began to pass the existence check of TeX binary in the function
    `TeX-command'[1].
    Hence
(call-process TeX-shell nil nil nil
              TeX-shell-command-option TeX-command))
    began to run successfully. This means that synchronous invocation of
    tex.exe through bash succeeded.

(b) However, AUCTeX still failed to typeset by C-c C-c. Together with
    the result of a separate experiment[2], we see
(start-process name buffer TeX-shell
               TeX-shell-command-option command)
    in the function `TeX-run-command' doesn't run the command actually.
    This means that asynchronous invocation of pdflatex.exe through bash
    didn't succeed.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex/2022-08/msg00014.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/r/auctex/2022-08/msg00018.html

It's quite puzzling why this difference between synchronous and
asynchronous invocation occurs.

Hmm, maybe my interpretation of (a) was wrong? Since `TeX-command'
checks only whether the exit code is 127 or not, it doesn't complain
when the command didn't actually run.

What happens when you insert
(call-process TeX-shell nil t nil
              TeX-shell-command-option "tex.exe --version")
in *scratch* buffer in wsl emacs and type C-x C-e just after the closing
")"?

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine